People fall for fad diets because they promise easy and quick weight loss but usually, these diets are unhealthy and will not give you long-term results. In fact, instead of you benefiting from these diets, they can be bad and dangerous to your health. There is also no assurance that the pounds will stay off.
The Cabbage Soup Diet is the grandmother of all fad diets. Its primary guideline is for you to eat as much cabbage soup as you want in conjunction with other low-calorie foods such as skim milk and banana. Since it is just a 7-day weight loss plan, it is commonly chosen by those who would like to lose pounds swiftly especially if they have a special event to attend. This diet guarantees that you’ll lose 10 pounds in just a week
The Cabbage Soup Diet Didn’t Come Without a Cost
Although some claim that this diet plan is effective in terms of weight loss, some people who have already tried the Cabbage Soup Diet claim they have experienced side effects. Below are the drawbacks that you should watch out for if you chose to go for this diet.
- Starvation. Since it is a low-calorie diet and does not provide protein and fat, you will certainly feel intense hunger. Your body requires healthy fats and carbs especially those that contain fiber to keep you feeling full and also to satisfy your appetite. And if you are only allowed to eat cabbage soup with other vegetables for a day, you will definitely go hungry.
- Fatigue and Exhaustion. Calories serve as our body fuel so without proper intake, your energy level will drop and you will experience tiredness. You will be unable to take care of your usual activities may it be for your home, school or work and you will not have the drive to exercise or workout which is an important part of any weight loss program.
- Emotional Wellness. Not getting enough nutrients can make you suffer both physically and emotionally. If you restrict yourself from eating normal meals and snacks, you will most likely fell deprived which can also lead to poor self-esteem, depression and anxiety. Taking this diet can also make you feel irritable and moody.
- Heart Complications. Studies claim that consuming less than 800 calories per day can lead to irregular heart rhythms. This is dangerous for those who have a history of heart disease.
- Electrolyte Problems. Since you would need to consume soup throughout the day, there is a chance that your water intake will be reduced and can lead to dehydration that if left untreated, can cause electrolyte imbalance. It can cause a variety of severe symptoms such as difficulty breathing, blood pressure changes, seizures, confusion and death.
- Flatulence. Cabbages are similar to broccoli, Brussel sprouts, cauliflower and other cruciferous vegetables. They contain indigestible sugar that causes gas and can make you feel bloated. Bloating can lead to abdominal pain, so the more cabbages you consume, the more chances of you experiencing this symptom. It is also proven that a high fiber diet will not always be in unison with your stomach. Aside from diarrhea, it also causes noxious gas. So think about the people around you; they will also get impacted by this specific side effect that the Cabbage Soup Diet can bring.
- Increase in Body Weight. Some of the dieters who have tried the Cabbage Soup Diet claim that as soon as they started eating normal foods, the weight they have lost returns quickly. Restrictive eating can lead to a bigger weight loss gain later on because of the effect it may cause to your metabolism.
- Insomnia. Cabbage belongs to the foods that include high insoluble fiber that moves slowly in your digestive system. It contains gas producing qualities which can make you feel full longer. While you are in this diet plan, you will find it hard to fall asleep especially if you feel the need to eat close to bedtime.
- Medical Interaction. Cabbages are rich in Vitamin K, a vitamin that plays a key role in helping the blood clot. If you are taking a blood-thinning medication, you should limit your Vitamin K intake to the daily recommended allowance so it means the Cabbage Soup Diet is not the right diet plan to try.
Slow and Steady
The best way to lose weight is by changing your lifestyle, eat balanced and healthy foods and include exercise in your daily routine. The Cabbage Soup Diet might work for you, however, you should keep in the back of your mind that permanent weight loss does not happen overnight; it would really take time and you should have proper motivation and discipline to be able to reach your desired body weight.